You know me, I’m a big fan a bowl of oats in the morning. I wouldn’t dare call it boring, but hey, I’m always looking for new ways of livening my morning porridge up a bit, y’know, without chucking a load of chocolate in the bowl ;-). Well, it’s Blood Orange season – one of my absolute favourite fruits. They’re great on their own, but they’re even better when they’re in an upside down cake, on top of muffins, or used to make a pink icing for donuts, and it turns out that they make a pretty great curd too.
This Blood Orange Curd would be great in a cake, but a hefty dollop makes a great topping for a hot bowl of porridge. It’s got a strong, citrus taste (as you’d expect) which is sweetened slightly by the addition of a little rosewater. Just in time for a Valentines Day breakfast in bed. ♡
Blood Orange and Rosewater Curd
- zest and juice of three blood oranges
- 1 tsp of rosewater
- 200g caster sugar
- 100g unsalted butter (melted, then cooled)
- 4 egg yolks, whisked
- Sterilize a large jam jar with boiling water, then set aside.
- Whisk together all the ingredients in a saucepan, then cook over a low heat. Keep stirring gently for about ten minutes, or until the curd begins to thicken.
- Pour into the sterilized jam jar and then leave to cool.
For more Valentines recipes, check out this post. Happy Valentines! ♡