Oh hey, would you look at that, Monday swung back around. *eyeroll* Although actually, I’m kind of relieved. It’s been a busy couple of weeks in the Cwtch household; Sunny’s been travelling non-stop with his work, I’ve pretty much been chained to the computer and then last Friday, Bungle went into the vets for an “operation” – if y’know what I mean – which meant a whole weekend of staying in and keeping his head out of his crotch. Fun times! So, needless to say, we’ve been kind of running on empty – as have a lot of people I’ve spoken to. It’s funny; it seems like the crossover between March and April’s been a little manic for everyone.
I had one of those blue days last week where everything just got on top of me and I needed to take ten. Usually when that happens I like to do a little baking to de-stress, but I wasn’t in the mood to do anything too complicated. Sometimes, it’s nice to go back to the basics and bake something easy but satisfying. Turns out we had a whole punnet of blueberries sitting in the fridge (they were supposed to be for porridge, but it had been Frosties kinda week…) and so I thought I’d whip up some Blueberry Muffins to see me through the rest of the week! They’re stupidly simple and adapted from a recipe I found on the Red Magazine website just before Christmas – except that my batch have a little cinnamon and some extra crunch with the added granola and demerara sugar topping. Yum!
Feeling Blue-Berry Muffins (makes 12)
- 100g caster sugar
- 150g butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- pinch of salt
- 250g self raising flour
- 100ml milk
- 200g blueberries
- 50g granola (click here for my recipe)
- 50g demerara sugar
- Set your oven to 180°C and line a muffin tray with lightly greased cases (I like to use the 1 calorie spray because it makes things easier 😉 ).
- In a mixing bowl, cream together your butter and caster sugar – then beat in the eggs until the mix is nice and fluffy.
- Next, gently fold in the flour little by little – alternating with the milk. Finally, stir in the blueberries (I like my muffins gooey and full of fruit, so I used a loooooot of blueberries, but feel free to dial it back a little if that’s not your jam), cinnamon and salt.
- Spoon the mixture into your muffin cases, then sprinkle each one with a generous helping of granola and demerara sugar. Bake for 20 minutes.
Have a great week! 🙂