- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 50g caster sugar (+20g for dusting)
- pinch of salt
- 100g sultanas
- 110g butter/margarine (+ a little extra to grease the pan/skillet)
- 1 large egg
a splash of milk if the dough is too dry
1. Sift together the dry ingredients into a bowl, then rub in the butter/margarine (get in there with your fingers and rub until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs).
2. Stir in the sultanas.
3. Mix in the egg until the dough comes together (if it’s too dry, add a splash of milk).
4. Roll out and cut into rounds.
5. If you haven’t got a skillet, a greased, level frying pan will do; cook the cakes for 3 minutes on each side (low heat), or until golden brown.
6. While still warm, sprinkle with a little caster sugar and then scoff!