No that we’re officially a week into December (coupled with the fact that it actually snowed this morning! Not for long… but still!) I declare it officially safe to bring on the Christmas baking. I’m easing you in gently though with these Chocolate Orange flavoured Welsh Cakes. I LOVE Welsh Cakes, not only because I’m Welsh and it’s practically criminal not to love them, but also because they’re so easy to play around with! If you’re not a fan of the traditional mixed fruit filling, then just swap it out with something you fancy – like chocolate! 🙂
Chocolate Orange Welsh Cakes
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 50g caster sugar (+20g for dusting)
- pinch of salt
- 100g chopped pieces of orange-flavoured chocolate
- 110g butter/margarine (+ a little extra to grease the pan/skillet)
- 1 large egg
a splash of milk if the dough is too dry
1. Sift together the dry ingredients into a bowl, then rub in the butter/margarine (get in there with your fingers and rub until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs).
2. Stir in the chocolate.
3. Mix in the egg until the dough comes together (if it’s too dry, add a splash of milk).
4. Roll out and cut into rounds.
5. If you haven’t got a skillet, a greased, level frying pan will do; cook the cakes for 3 minutes on each side (low heat), or until golden brown.
6. While still warm, sprinkle with a little caster sugar and then scoff!
Have a great weekend everyone! x