Am I too late for Autumn bakes? I’m pretty sure everyone’s more interested in seeing mince pies, puddings and Christmas cakes right now but, oh well. If you’ve got an apple hanging around at the bottom of your fruit bowl looking a little too wrinkly to eat on its own, then here’s something you can make with it – and it’s perfect for eating warm, submerged in a bowl of custard. It’s still custard season, right?
Apple, Cinnamon& Salted Caramel Cake
- 1 apple (peeled, cored and chopped into little chunks)
- 120g self raising flour
- 120g butter
- 100g light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 100ml milk (if needed)
- 75g chopped walnuts
- 75g chopped pieces of salted caramel
- Set your oven to 180° and grease a deep, round cake tin of your choice.
- Cream together the butter and brown sugar and then slowly add the eggs.
- Sieve in the flour and cinnamon and then fold in the chopped apple. If the mixture is looking a little dry then add a little milk.
- Put the cake in the oven for 30 minutes, then remove and scatter the chopped walnuts and salted caramel over the top.
- Pop the cake back in the oven for a further 10 minutes (or until an inserted skewer or knife tip comes out clean).
- Best eaten swimming in hot custard – but that’s just me! 🙂