I feel like baking’s been on the back seat for a lot of this year; I’ve been so busy the past few weeks that just getting dinner on the table (/my lap… TV’s just been too good) has been a struggle. I just haven’t had time to batter up and whip up something sweet. Last weekend though, I had a little window and instead of just scrolling or snoozing through it, I decided that I wanted to bake something fuss-free that would perk up my mid-morning cuppa come Monday – and this is what I came up with.
This Strawberry Picnic Cake is one of those bakes that looks super fancy but actually involves barely any effort – if you’re a dab hand with a wooden spoon and can slice a strawb, then you’ve got this. Texture-wise, it’s a cross between a brownie and an angel slice – with a gooey layer of fresh strawberries (and some raspberries thrown in for a sour edge) sandwiched between a soft, pink sponge. Once it’s sliced up and dusted with a little icing sugar, it makes for a cute little lunchbox pick-me-up, or would be the perfect treat to pack in your picnic basket (…along with a little tub of fresh cream, obviously!) – if the weather ever perks up… 🙂
Strawberry Picnic Cake
- 150g Ground Almonds
- 150g Salted Butter
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 150g Self Raising Flour
- 2 eggs (whisked)
- 300g Strawberries (sliced)
- 50g Raspberries
- A few drops of pink food colouring
- Icing Sugar to dust
- Grease and line a deep, rectangular baking tray and set your oven to 180°C.
- Grab a mixing bowl and pour in all the cake ingredients except the strawberries and raspberries – hold those back! Stir everything together to make a thick, lumpy, pink batter.
- Pour half of the batter into your baking dish and spread it out into all the corners. Create a sandwich layer by topping the batter with the strawberries and raspberries, then smooth over the remaining batter.
- Before you pop the cake in the oven, add a neat layer of evenly spaced sliced strawberries on top – one for each slice (I cut nine slices).
- Bake for 30 minutes, then leave to cool before slicing.
- Finish with a dusting of icing sugar and serve with cream. 🙂
Have a lovely week everyone! 💕