If you saw my post on Blood Orange Doughnuts then you’ll know how obsessed I am right now with using them to make perfect Calpol-pink icing. I mean, who knew? Seriously, my days of using food colouring are over, and now I’m on the hunt for other fruits that’ll work in my icing crayon box. And if I find any, I’ll let you know 🙂
I’m also a tad obsessed with Loaf Cakes – mostly because they’re so easy to make as long as you’ve got the right tin! For this one, I played around with my Lemon and Pistachio Drizzle Cake recipe and instead made an Orange and Almond version.
Orange & Almond Loaf Cake
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g butter or marg (you can even use olive oil)
- 100g self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 50g ground almonds
- tbsp baking powder
- zest of one orange (I used a blood orange for the pink icing, but a normal orange will do if you’re not into that)
- juice of one orange
- powdered sugar
- Set the oven to 180 and grease a small loaf tin.
- Cream together the fat and sugar and then lightly beat in the eggs.
- Next add the flour, baking powder, ground almonds and orange zest and stir until the mixture has combined to make a fluffy batter. Pour into the tin.
- Cook for around 40 minutes – or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Use the juice and powdered sugar to make the icing; it’s all down to preference, you’ll need around a 3:1 ratio of sugar to juice, but it take take a little trial and error to get the exact texture and pigment/flavour you’re after.
4 replies on “Orange & Almond Loaf Cake”
I wish I could eat it because it looks super yummy 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
This loaf cake sounds so so yummy! I really love cake that has a fruity twist to it so I know that I would absolutely love this one. It sounds like a doable recipe as well without too many ingredients so I might have a go at making this one day soon ☺️ The worst thing about some recipes is that you need to go out and buy about twenty products for it! The lemon and pistachio version sounds delicious as well! xxx
I love loaf cakes, they’re so easy! And really easy to play around with too – they’re hard to mess up! 🙂
[…] 4. Orange and Almond Loaf Cake […]