How’s this for a bit of Friday Food Frivolity (…yikes, try saying that when you’re drunk!)? I’m going to be absolutely clear on this one; this recipe is purely for the ‘gram. There’s nothing out of the ordinary here – bog standard eggs, bog standard toast and a little bit of spinach and seasoning – the only thing that’s different is that the egg is pink! There’s absolutely no culinary reason to make your poached egg pink – it won’t taste any different to a normal poached egg – but, it’ll definitely bring a smile to your face. I mean, isn’t everything better when it’s pink? 😉
If I was going to open a brunch cafe (and wanted to be a total douchebag about it) I’d probably call these Sunrise Eggs (…in fact, I’m having that one just in case – remember I called it!).
Pink Poached Eggs
- One or two fresh (that’s very important when cooking poached eggs!) eggs
- 1 Tbsp Vinegar
- 100ml Beetroot Juice (or if you’re boiling beetroots, just hold back the water)
- Boiling water
- Spinach (or smashed Avocado)
- Ground black pepper
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Set the water to boil, then prep your toast and greens.
- Once the water is close to boiling, add your beetroot juice and vinegar and whisk. You’re going to want to whisk the water until it creates a whirlpool, and then crack the egg into the middle before it settles. This method will wrap the white around the egg. Usually. It doesn’t always work for me.
- Cook the egg for a minute then serve up on toast and spinach. Season with black pepper and chilli flakes.
What are you up to this weekend? What are your breakfast/brunch plans? 🍳