Over the Bridge

What I Did: An Afternoon in London


A couple of weeks ago – before the snow, when it actually felt like Spring was knocking on the door – Sunny and I went away to London for a few days to see family… and try Bungle on the open road.  He’s never been more than 20 minutes in a car and has never stayed away from home – so we thought we’d take him along with us and try him out!

You all know I’ve got a strange relationship with London.  I lived there for five years and still can’t quite work out how I feel about the place.  I suppose it’s like that wild friend you hardly ever see and then when you do see them you know you’re going to end up with a massive hangover, £100 missing from your bank account and a reminder of just exactly why you hardly ever see them.  I mean, I LOVE London; I always have to pay my respects and drop by when I’m there and it’s so easy to get swept away by the buildings, the food and the noise.  Buuuuuuut, God is it nackering!  I spent one afternoon pottering around and it literally broke me in every sense of the word!  (You want how much for a sandwich?!)

My first stop was Notting Hill.  I spent an hour wallking around Portobello Road (🎶Portobello Road, Street where the riches of ages are sold….!) looking at all the colourful houses.  The lower half of Portobello Road near Notting Hill Gate one of the most photogenic streets in London, I think, especially at the moment with all the cherry blossom popping.

When my stomach started to rumble, I hopped on a train to Liverpool Street and met Sunny at Franco Manca for lunch.  If you asked me what my one regret was about leaving London, my answer would be that I’d left Franco Manca’s glorious sourdough  pizza behind.  Though probably not a bad thing for my waistline, eh?  😉

Full of pizza, I left Sunny in the city and hopped on the central line over to Oxford Street where I zig-zagged in and out of shops.  I didn’t buy anything, but I did try on this lovely cobalt blue wrap dress in Oasis.  I’ve got a couple of weddings coming up and I quite fancy this for one of them.  What d’you think?  🙂

By four I’d had my London fix and was ready to get the hell out!  I know some people wouldn’t live anywhere else, but it’s not for me.

Have a great week everyone!

8 replies on “What I Did: An Afternoon in London”

Thanks Dee 🙂 He did okay! He was fine in the car driving down, a bit nervous the first night and then threw up on the way back… but other than that, no problems!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s