I’m a pasta FIEND, but I hardly ever get to make it at home because Sunny’s not a fan (I know, what the hell did I marry???). My absolute favourite pasta dish is Spaghetti Pomodoro, which most people would label the most boring thing on the menu – but you know what? I love that it’s simple. It’s pasta in its purest form and throws the focus on the quality and flavour of each ingredient. Sweet tomato sauce, spaghetti, fresh basil and mozzarella (…the best bit!). I love it! It’s my go to whenever I’ve got a craving for some fresh pasta.
Last week, Sunny was away with work which meant I had a couple of days to get my pasta fix in. I saw the idea for these fried tomato and mozzarella balls on Pinterest and just had to give them a go and see if they could level up my basic pomodoro. I mean, deep fried mozzarella, amiright? Yuuuuuuuuum.
Spaghetti with Fried Tomato and Mozzarella Balls (serves 2)
For the balls:
- 125g of Mozzarella Pearls
- 220g of Cherry Tomatoes (I used about 20 piccalo tomatoes)
- 1 egg, whisked
- plain flour
- 100g breadcrumbs seasoned with salt and pepper
- Vegetable Oil
- Kebab Skewer
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 200ml of Tomato Passata
- 1 clove of Garlic, minced
- Tomato Pits, salted
- Fresh Chopped Basil
- 1 tsp of Maple Syrup
- Chopped Basil
- Enough Spaghetti for 2
- (More cheese, if you’re a total glutton like me 😉 )
- Cut the tomatoes in half and scoop out the pits (set them aside, they’re going to go into the sauce later!). Fill each tomato with a mozzarella pearl and then set them aside.
- Heat up the vegetable oil in a deep saucepan (you’ll know it’s ready for frying when you can drop a small bit of bread into it and see it fizzle). Batter up! Create a bit of an assembly line with the whisked egg, flour and breadcrumbs in separate bowls. Take one of your filled tomatoes and skewer it with one of the kebab skewers (it’ll keep everything together for the next step). First, coat it with a little flour, then dunk it into the whisked egg, and finally coat it with breadcrumbs. Deep fry each ball until golden brown, removing each one from the skewer as you go along.
- To make the sauce, heat up your olive oil in a saucepan on a medium heat. Fry the garlic for a minute (careful not to burn it!) and then pour in both the tomato passata, pits and fresh basil. Pour in 1 tsp of Maple Syrup – sounds ridiculous, right? But trust me, it’ll take away the acidic taste from the tomatoes.
- Simmer for twenty minutes, then season and serve with the fried tomato, fresh basil, mozzarella balls and spaghetti.
Have a magnifique week! 😉
5 replies on “Spaghetti with Fried Tomato and Mozzarella Balls”
Oh yum it looks so good!
Looks really tasty. Yum yum
It looks so delicious! I’ll definitely try it ^^
[…] via Spaghetti with Fried Tomato and Mozzarella Balls — […]
LikeLiked by 1 person
[…] husband, that’s who. Weirdo.); I really want to be able to eat it at home. So occasionally, I give it a go and sometimes – whaddya know – I get it right. Or as close to right as possible without […]