Happy Monday (and Happy 1st of July!)! Here’s a recipe to bookmark for later, because – well – firstly, Mac & Cheese isn’t exactly the kind of thing to be scoffing in the middle of summer, is it? It definitely falls under the category of cold weather comfort food; it’s perfect for gloomy, November night’s in rather than a sticky, July suppers scoffed alfresco – right? (Although, honestly my appetite knows no season, and – besides – you never know when the Welsh Weather’s going to trip you up…) And secondly, it’s two recipes in one! Definitely one to keep up your sleeve. 😉
Chilli is one of my absolute favourite meals to make because it’s a one pot wonder that’s easy to whip up mid week when I’m feeling too tired to cook and tempted to reach for that takeaway menu. It’s also perfect for batch cooking; the recipe makes more than enough to sort both one dinner and a couple of lunches for the week. Make it meaty with beef mince if you like, but I actually prefer the veggie version using Quorn Mince. I’ll usually serve it up with some rice, grated cheese and sour cream (my husband likes to add a couple of crushed nachos to his too for some extra crunch), but it’s also pretty fabulous served up on a bed of gooey, super-cheesy Mac and Cheese.
I feel like Mac and Cheese gets a bit of a bad rap from all those cardboard microwave versions (bleugh!). I mean it only takes a little extra effort to make it yourself, and it tastes so much better! Especially if you use the right kind of cheese. Lucky for me, the guys from Dragon Wales (who make my favourite vintage cheddar – my fridge is always stocked with a block!) sent me a lovely little hamper full of their brand new range of cheeses, including a Maple Smoked Cheddar that was born to make the smokiest, creamiest cheese sauce for Mac and Cheese. 👌
Chilli Mac & Cheese (serves 2 – with plenty for leftovers!)
For the Chilli:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 350g mince (sure, beef’s traditional, but I personally love Quorn mince)
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp chipotle paste
- 500g tomato passata
- 225g black beans
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ancho chilli flakes
- 2 tsp runny honey
- chopped fresh coriander
- salt and pepper to season
For the Mac & Cheese:
- 100g macaroni
- 100g cheddar cheese, grated (I really like Dragon’s new *Maple-Smoked Cheddar)
- 100g butter
- 100g plain flour
- 200ml milk
- salt and pepper to season
- To make the chilli, heat up your olive oil in a deep pan – then add the diced red onions and fry on a medium heat until they’re glossy. Add the garlic and fry for one minute.
- Next, add the mince and fry it for a couple of minutes until brown, then add the bell pepper and black beans. Add the chipotle paste, honey and passata and stir until combined.
- Season the chilli with the paprika, cumin, ground coriander, cayenne pepper and chilli flakes – then turn down the heat, whack on the lid and allow the chilli to simmer for twenty five minutes. If it’s looking a little dry, pour in a little cold water.
- Once it’s cooked, you can stop there, season it with salt and pepper and serve it up with some fresh coriander, rice and sour cream… or you can keep the lid on and whip up some Mac and Cheese to scoff it with! 😉
- To make the Mac and Cheese, first get your macaroni boiling with some salt. While it’s cooking, grab a fresh saucepan and gently heat the butter until it’s melted. Next, add the flour and whisk to make a roux (fancy-pants term which basically means a sauce base).
- Keeping the heat down low, slowly pour in the milk and whisk until everything’s combined. Add the grated cheddar, season and stir to make a lovely, thick and cheesy sauce. 😉
- Stir in the cooked (and drained!) macaroni, then serve up with the chilli and fresh coriander. Yum!
Have a great week everyone! And thanks to Dragon Wales for the lovely cheese! 💛💛💛
*This post isn’t sponsored, but contains gifted items. To find out more about what this means and to read my disclaimer, click here.