I’ve made (and scoffed) Madeleines more than a few times. They’re so easy to make and are the perfect kind of tea cake to stick out on a plate whenever you’ve got someone coming over for elevenses (they’re made to be dunked!). Traditionally they’re flavoured with lemon, but since it’s Christmas I thought I’d do something a little more fancy pants. These ones are dunked in melted chocolate and then sprinkled with praline and a little bit of edible glitter (if you can’t use glitter at Christmas, then when can you?). I’d never made praline before and to be honest it took two attempts; I made the mistake of stirring the sugar as it was heating and it crystallized in the saucepan and looked like snow. Oops! How many times have I rolled my eyes as Bake Off contestants make exactly the same mistake?! Typical! I got it the second time round though and had more than enough left over. It’ll be jazzing up my porridge over Christmas I think! 😉
Chocolate and Praline Dunked Madeleines
- 2 free-range eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g self raising flour
- A splash of milk
- 100g butter melted (and a little extra to grease the tin)
- 100g chocolate (I used milk, but I bet dark chocolate would be even better!)
- 100g chopped hazelnuts
- 50g brown sugar
- 50ml water
- Preheat the oven to 200° and grease the madeleine tin with a little butter.
- Whisk together the eggs and the caster sugar in a bowl until combined and frothy.
- Pour in the melted butter (be careful if it’s still hot – if you pour it in too quickly you’ll get scrambled eggs!), and then stir in the flour.
- Pour the mixture into the tray – about a desert spoonful for each madeleine mould should do the trick. Leave them to rest for about 10 minutes before you whack them in the oven.
- Bake for around 10 minutes until the madeleines have risen and cooked through. Leave the madeleines to cool while you work on the toppings.
- To make the praline, scatter the chopped hazelnuts on a baking tray and roast in the oven for about 10 minutes until golden. In a saucepan, heat the sugar and water together on a low heat until it caramelizes (don’t stir!). Pour the caramel over the roasted hazelnuts and leave to cool. Once it’s cooled, smash it with a rolling pin.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave, then dunk the tips of the madeleines. Once they’re all coated in melted chocolate, dunk them into the praline to coat the melted chocolate tip. Leave to set, then scoff! 🙂
Have a great week everyone! Hope the final run up to Christmas hasn’t got you too stressed! X